Farmhand Automation is looking to radically change the way we grow food in America by empowering small scale farms with cutting edge robotics automation to make sustainably grown food the norm, not the exception. Our team has backgrounds in tech, agriculture and AI, but more importantly we are makers who appreciate everyday people who build and build big. Our mechanical inspirations come from James Bruton, Ivan Marinda, Colin Furze and Spyker Workshop.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be responsible for developing a unique mechanical design for an autonomous, powerhouse-of-a-robot capable of traversing challenging farm terrains, manipulating tools, and supporting farmers across the U.S. We focus on agile hardware development using 3D Printed and CNC components designed for prototyping through to production.
ABOUT THE WORK
• Responsible for the mechanical design of our robot
• Design, robust transmission, chassis, enclosures, etc.
• Stress test and iterate designs for maximum robustness
• Prototype new components to manipulate various farm tools
• Troubleshoot mechanical issues from the field
• Present data/trade-offs to facilitate design decisions
• Build/Manage workshop and assembly space
• Enthusiastic, Crazy Scientist, Maker Extraordinaire
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent Life Experience
• Proficient with Fusion360, or other CAD tools
• Experience in 3D printing large mechanical assemblies
• Have worked with electro-mechanical assemblies or robotics
• Competitive salary and equity
• Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance
• Paid holidays and flexible PTO.
If you’re an enthusiastic self-starter looking to put your efforts toward making positive change in the world and want to play a pivotal role in building powerful, autonomous robotics applications using digital fabrication, we encourage you to apply!